Your teeth are one of your greatest assets. You need your teeth to eat and chew properly, to speak properly, to smile, and to uphold the structure of your facial features. Yet, with the absolute necessity of your teeth, many people still neglect them.
Cavity prevention is one of the most important aspects of your entire health. Please note that your entire health hangs in the balance of your oral health. It takes an active role to achieve and sustain a healthy smile, but it truly does not require much. By following the 5 simple steps below, cavity prevention is easy.
- Floss daily. Floss is the only tool designed to scrape away plaque from the teeth. Plaque is loaded with acid-producing bacteria that eat holes in the teeth: known as cavities. Flossing is the most neglected oral hygiene habit – yet it is the most important thing you can do for your teeth on a daily basis.
- Brush frequently. Brushing your teeth loosens plaque from the surface of the teeth so that it can easily be removed via flossing. Brushing also helps to loosen food particles that have become trapped in the teeth so they do not decay and rot inside your mouth.
- Visit your dentist regularly. It is important to have your teeth thoroughly cleaned and examined on a regular basis to prevent tartar buildup, gingivitis, decay. Regular dental visits also allow your dentist to examine your mouth for any signs of disease that may go unnoticed until they are in a severe stage.
- Keep a healthy diet. The foods and beverages you consume have a direct impact on every area of your health. Consuming too much sugar, acid, or alcohol will have a negative impact on the strength of your teeth, the health of your gums, your immune system, and your heart. It is vital to understand that your oral health directly impacts your entire body, and what you put into your mouth affects everything about your quality of life.
- Stop all negative lifestyle habits. Smoking, chewing tobacco, over-consuming alcohol, biting your nails, using your teeth to open things, clenching your jaw, grinding your teeth – all of these negatively impact your oral and overall health. If you need help stopping negative lifestyle habits, speak to your dentist.
That is it. Truly, these 5 simple steps can protect your oral health and allow you to maintain a healthy and beautiful smile for a lifetime. Gold Hill Dentistry wants to partner with you. Please contact our practice today.
Posted on behalf of
2848 Pleasant Road, #104
Fort Mill, SC 29708
Phone: (803) 547-4466